Tuesday 20 April 2021

Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle #1) by Diana Wynne Jones

Howl's Moving Castle
Howl's Moving Castle #1
Diana Wynne Jones



Front cover


Date read: 21 - 28 February 2021
Length: 329 pages
Published: 1986


Sophie works in her father's hat shop until one day The Witch of the Waste comes in, takes a disliking to her and puts a curse on her, turning her into an old lady. Now Sophie needs to reverse the witch's spell, but she doesn't know how. She goes to Howl's moving castle and makes herself at home, but gets more than she bargained for. Will she get back to her young self?


I like Calcifer, the little fire demon is probably my favourite character. He acts like he doesn't care about them, but he really does. Howl is weird. Sometimes he can be really nice, but other times he's actually quite nasty. I feel like poor Michael is often neglected by Howl. He is expected to do a lot and he's just sort of left to get on with things.

Sophie actually helps them in many ways. Even apart from the fact that she cleans up the 'castle' for them, she helps them to open their hearts and become better people. As much as she needed them, they needed her.

I was given Howl's Moving Castle by a friend, as was sad that I didn't like it as much as I wanted to. I'd heard of it before but didn't know what it was about. I still liked the story though, and will continue to read the rest of the series!




Overall rating







Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment