Wednesday 3 June 2020

The Book of Three (The Chronicles of Prydain #1) by Lloyd Alexander

The Book of Three
The Chronicles of Prydain #1
Lloyd Alexander



Front cover

Date read: 3 - 7 May 2020
Length: 188 pages
Published: 1964 (1966 in GB)


Taran, an Assistant Pig-Keeper, is bored. When Hen Wen, the oracular pig, runs away into the forest, Taran chases after her, only to find himself on an adventure. With a band of companions, they search for Hen Wen while avoiding the Horned King. Will they find her?


Confession time: I actually read The Book of Three a long time ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. But for some unknown reason, I didn't go on to read the rest of the series. So this was a re-read as I am now going to go on and read the rest of the series. I know there are some other books not in the series but relating to them, so I may or may not read them depending on availability at the time.

I like Eilonwy as a love interest for Taran. They seem to have a strange relationship in that they like to annoy each other, but I think deep down they actually care. I think something could blossom here.

Gwydion would be a good teacher. He is calm and not afraid to let them make their own mistakes. If he was willing he would be a good mentor for Taran.

Gurgi is interesting and I like they way he talks. Him saying things like crunchings and munchings is one of the things I remember from the first time I read the book. Although it's clear the troupe see him as a burden and a bit of an annoyance, he's still loyal to them and willing to help.

Fflewddur Flam is funny with the harp. I hope he's in more of the books, I would like to see more of him.

I'm very much looking forward to the next one. I think there is a lot more to the story and that Taran is more than he seems.

After I've read the next one I'm going to be watching the Disney film, The Black Cauldron, made from the material from the first two books. My friend is reading the series with me because she has seen an enjoyed the film, but didn't realise it was a book first!




Overall rating








Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment