Tuesday 10 July 2018

The Farther Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (Robinson Crusoe #2) by Daniel Defoe

The Farther Adventures of Robinson Crusoe
Robinson Crusoe #2
Daniel Defoe


Front cover

Date read: 13 - 18 June 2018
Length: 215 pages


Crusoe seeks adventure once more, and with his companion Friday, sets sail. He visits a great many places; the Brazils, back to his island to see what has become of it, China, Russia, and eventually back home to retire at the age of 72.


Now. What a difference there was reading this one compared to the classic everyone knows. I'm not sure if it is because I was reading an older book (which I borrowed from the library's reserve stock!) or because it wasn't a modernisation of a classic, but the language was very interesting. In my opinion it is the best thing about this book. The way things were spelled back then and just the different use of words kept my interest more than the plot.

I can't say the Robinson Crusoe's farther adventures is something that I would recommend to others or read again. The first one had a bit of an interesting story, yes. But here, not so much. There was far too much God talk for my liking, and while I'm not saying that people can't enjoy it because of that, it's just not for me. Telling people that they should convert to Christianity and believe in God or they're wrong or doomed for hell, is not something I want to read.

For the plot and a story for leisure, this is not one I'd recommend. But for an insight on how language was used nearly 300 years ago, it is quite interesting.




Overall rating







Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment