Monday 9 November 2015

Time Honoured Vows by Susannah Curtis

Time Honoured Vows
Susannah Curtis


Follow my blog on Bloglovin


Front cover



Shelagh Riordan is a nurse tending to the soldiers of the First World War in England. She falls in love with a Guards Officer, but is needed back home in Ireland after the death of her mother. There she remains, marrying and having children of her own.


I'm torn by this book. As with many novels, there's always going to be things you like, and things you don't. It's inevitable. I think the reason I'm torn is because in general I quite liked it, but the things I didn't like are so prevalent that it gets in the way of enjoying the story.

There's a lot happening here. There's always something new cropping up. I liked this because it keeps you interested and wondering what could possibly happen next. This family seem to have a lot of bad luck!

Now, here's the thing that really bugged me. Shelagh spends the whole novel longing after Donald; the Guards Officer she fell in love with. She is constantly comparing her life with how she thinks it could have been had she not returned to Ireland and separated from him. This gets in the way of her life, fully and completely. She's not happy, she's constantly pining,  and is stuck in the past. I feel sorry for her children; it's almost as if she doesn't love them as she should because Donald is not their father.


Anyway, if you can get over her longing, pining demeanour, then it's actually quite a good story.




Overall rating






Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment