Monday 30 November 2015

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

David Copperfield
Charles Dickens


Follow my blog on Bloglovin


Front cover


This is the story of David Copperfield as he progresses through life, from a small boy to an adult. We meet many lovable characters such as the Peggoty's, aunt Betsy, Dora, Agnes, and the Micawber's. We also meet some not-so-lovable characters, namely the Murdstones and the notorious Uriah Heep. 

I don't think much has to be said about the plot. You follow a young man on his journey into adulthood, experiencing the ups and downs of life.


This is a very big book! Not ideal for a light summer read, or a book to read in one day. It is worth reading, however. There are lots of things happening to keep you on your toes, but it can still be tiresome at points.

One of my favourite things is that even though there are quite a lot of characters, they return throughout the story, so none are really forgotten. I find that in large books with many characters some are left behind and never mentioned again. Not here though.

***SPOILER ALERT***
One part I did get kind of confused at was Dora's death. When did this happen? How did it happen? It felt like I was just reading and suddenly she was dead. I reread the previous few pages several times looking for an answer, but I was not enlightened. I guess it will just remain a mystery until I read it again. Or look it up.


On the whole, I really enjoyed David Copperfield. Despite the lulls, which is understandable in a book this size, I found it engaging and interesting. Worth a read.




Overall rating





Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment