Sunday 30 August 2015

The Midwife by Gay Courter

The Midwife
Gay Courter


Follow my blog on Bloglovin



 Front cover


Hannah Blau is a Jewish midwife in Russia in the early 1900s. While her family are struggling against the prejudices of Jews, she is trying to make her mark in her profession, maybe even become a doctor. Her family escape to America, where she has to start all over again. This time being a Jew isn't such a stigma.


The Midwife is very captivating. There's lots of ups and downs, and I hear couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen next! When I picked thus off the bookshelf I had no idea what I was in for, having never heard of the story or author. I'm very glad I've read it, though. 

The copy I have is 521 pages long, with quite a small font. But none of it is wasted. There's so much detail with her and her family, but it doesn't make it boring. It sort of fleshes out the story I think. Good detail, not bad detail.


Give it a read. I guarantee you'll be hooked.




Overall rating





Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment