Friday 15 January 2021

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #3) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Sherlock Holmes #3
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle



Front cover


Date read: 9 - 17 November 2020
Length: 365 pages
Published: 1892


Here we have a collection of shorter Holmes mysteries, all equally bizarre and interesting. With his trusty companion Dr Watson, they put to rest 12 cases, some more completely than others.


'It is an old maxim of mine that when you have
excluded the impossible, whatever remains,
however improbable, must be the truth.'


Sometimes I like reading the shorter cases like this because you're getting more stories at once. It is interesting to read how he solves each case, and a lot of the time I imagine myself as Watson while I'm reading, watching the mystery unfold before my eyes.

I enjoyed each story, but particularly The Red-Headed League, The Blue Carbuncle and The Copper Beaches. They are each different, one about theft, another about missing gems in a very interesting way, and the last about a poor woman needing to be saved!

One thing I miss about the collections, however, is that there isn't as much of the story between Holmes and Watson. I enjoy learning about their lives and seeing the interaction between them when they're not working on a case. 

Luckily this series has a good mixture of both!




Overall rating








Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment