Tuesday 7 May 2019

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

The Memory Keeper's Daughter
Kim Edwards


Front cover


Date read: 11 - 20 April 2019
Length: 401 pages
Published: 2005


Dr. David Henry and his wife Norah are having their babies; twins, a boy and a girl. The boy is healthy, but there's something wrong with the girl. She has Down's syndrome, and so David makes the decision to send her away forever. He tells his wife she died at birth. This secret becomes the foundation of his life. Will he ever tell Norah the truth?


Families have secrets they hide
even from themselves...


This was a good, easy read. The story is very absorbing and you find yourself wanting to read more. There are not too many characters and it's easy to get drawn in!

As I was reading I actually found myself more interested in Pheobe's life. I just wanted to know more about her and her life with Caroline, what she was doing and how she was developing and growing. I found Paul boring and moody, and Pheobe had a much more positive outlook on life.

I began to gradually dislike David. In the beginning I kind of sympathised with the fact he had to make a very difficult decision, although one that should definitely not have been done without Norah's input. He does what he believes is the right thing at the time. But as time goes on, I found myself liking him less and less. What he did began to annoy me, and I began to resent him for it.


A thought provoking and easy read.



Kim Edwards




Overall rating







Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment