Sunday 30 July 2017

The Salmon of Doubt (Dirk Gently #3) by Douglas Adams

The Salmon of Doubt
Dirk Gently #3
Douglas Adams


Front cover

Date read: 21 - 28 July 2017
Length: 321 pages

The Salmon of Doubt features eleven chapters of a Dirk Gently novel that Douglas Adams was working on when he died. Here Dirk takes on the case of half a missing cat (rear half, if you want to know), and after discovering someone has been putting money into his account, starts following a random man. And of course there's Desmond, a rather confused rhinoceros.
The Salmon of Doubt also collects writings from his Macintosh; articles he's written for newspapers and magazines, speeches he's given, interviews he's had, as well as some short stories and even some real ones.


There's a lot of very interesting information in this little book. Everything from politics to religion to science is discussed. Although not as deep and meaningful as some of the others, my favourite little piece is the one entitled Cookies. It gave me a good little laugh.

Although I mainly got this book to read the Dirk Gently material, it was nice to read the other stuff as well. It felt like you kind of got to know the author, which isn't something you get to do often. I feel I may have missed out on some of the meanings or jokes though, because I haven't read any of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy books yet. They are near the top of one of my to read piles though! I'll maybe have another little look at this book once I've read them.

I feel that this Dirk Gently book would have been a good one had it been finished. I was particularly intrigued by half a missing cat. I would have liked to find out where the other half was! Nevertheless, I guess I'll just have to make up my own ending. Although it will be nowhere near as good.


R.I.P Douglas Adams.



Douglas Adams




Overall rating






Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment