Tuesday 7 July 2020

Million Dollar Baby by F. X. Toole

Million Dollar Baby
F. X. Toole


Front cover

Date read: 8 - 13 June 2020
Length: 235 pages
Published: 2000


Originally published as Rope Burns, Million Dollar Baby contains short stories about boxing; the people in boxing, their lives, the industry, and fights. Each story tells something new, but all are deeply about the sport.


I don't really know much about boxing, apart from what is portrayed in movies and TV programmes. I'm not a sport fan. But after reading these short stories, I feel like I've actually learned something about the real world of boxing. The author, F. X. Toole whose real name is Jerry Boyd, was a professional boxing trainer and 'cut man'.

I quite enjoyed these stories, although my favourite is probably Million Dollar Baby. I guess that's why the book was re-named and also why the film got this title. I'll need to watch the film and see how it compares.

I found Black Jew hard to read at first. It would probably be easier to read it aloud! It's written in the way that the main character Jeet/Jackie would talk. But as I read more I got more into it and found it easier.

Rope Burns was also pretty good. It shows how bonded some people are in boxing. The people they work with can become like family.


A good collection of stories.




Overall rating







Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment