Saturday 16 May 2020

Jo's Boys (Little Women #3) by Louisa May Alcott

Jo's Boys
Little Women #3
Louisa May Alcott


Front cover

Date read: 11 - 18 April 2020
Length: 304 pages
Published: 1886


Ten years after Little Men, nearly all the boys have grown up. They're off doing their own things; sailing, being a musician abroad, even going to jail! But they all come back to Plumfield as often as they can.


My favourite boy is Nat. He's so pleasant and eager to do what's right, even to his own detriment. When he gets himself into a sticky situation he finds a way out and works hard for it.

Not surprised Dan went to jail. Although he made some improvement over time, he was always a bit selfish and dismissive of other people. He does what he wants regardless of the consequences, and that's part of what landed him in jail. He was always my least favourite boy.

I felt ready for the series to be finished, and I got the impression Alcott was too. Perhaps she was under pressure from fans or her publisher to keep producing stories, and it amused me to get to the last chapter to find it titled "Positively Last Appearance", as if she was telling everyone there would be no more.


Although I began to feel less connected to the March family as the books went on, I have very much enjoyed reading these stories. It was good to read about Jo's life in more detail, but the first 2 volumes (Little Women and Good Wives, or Little Women Volume II) will always be my favourite.




Overall rating







Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment