Sunday 16 February 2020

The Pact by Jodi Picoult

The Pact
Jodi Picoult


Front cover

Date read: 1 - 12 January 2020
Length: 480 pages
Published: 1998 (UK 2004)


Emily and Chris have known each other all their lives, living next door to each other for nearly 18 years. They agree on a suicide pact together, but something goes wrong. Emily dies, Chris lives. On his 18th birthday he is arrested, awaiting trial. Will he be found guilty of murder in the first degree?


Your son says
they both meant
to die.

But he lived.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?


The Pact is very hard to put down, and I found myself wanting to read more and more, even thinking about it when I wasn't reading it! I really enjoyed the story. I liked the way it went between past and present. I wanted to know what was happening the the present more, but it was still nice to get stories from the past, and to know what Chris, Emily and their families were like before this tragedy.

As much as I enjoyed the story, I found it hard to relate to Chris and Emily. I'm not sure if it's because I'm a bit older than them, or maybe the fact that you never really get anything from Emily's perspective. You only know her through the flashbacks. I just struggled to be emotionally invested in these characters.

I liked Chris' lawyer, Jordan. I kind of wish we got to see more of him. He sounds like a reasonable, down to earth guy, and he puts everything into helping Chris win his case, even though Chris makes a silly move at the end!

It's a shame about Gus and Melanie. Over 18 years of friendship is over because of this major event. I get it, it's understandable, but a shame nonetheless.



Jodi Picoult




Overall rating








Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment