Wednesday 29 January 2020

The Hydrogen Sonata (Culture #10) by Iain M. Banks

The Hydrogen Sonata
Culture #10
Iain M. Banks


Front cover

Date read: 5 - 20 December 2019
Length: 605 pages (630 with interview and glossary)
Published: 2012


The Gzilt civilisation are getting ready to Sublime, but not everyone is sure about it. There's reason to believe the Book of Truth is not all it seems. On a quest to find out for herself, Cossont seeks the oldest person ever known; Ximenyr. Will she Sublime with the rest of the Gzilt?


I liked Cossont. She wanted to know the truth and she set out to find it. She didn't let other people tell her what to think and she wanted to find information for herself.

The elevenstring is interesting, and even now I still can't picture what it would look like. I have this sort of image of a really big guitar, but I could be way off! The idea that an instrument was invented to play a specific piece of music is a bit baffling, but amusing at the same time.

There were some surprises and the things that sticks out (no pun intended) the most, is the man with all the penises! I was just reading along, and bam, there he is! Funny, if a little unusual.

This book is really a 3.5* but I don't do halves! There were some things that were really interesting that I liked reading, and other bits were a bit slow and drawn out.

Well, that's it. The last in the Culture series. I can't quite believe it's come to an end. It has been a wild ride, I've found some better than others, but none that I didn't enjoy. It's not the end of Banks for me however, as I have some more of his books, under both names. I imagine it'll be a few years before I get to them though.




Overall rating







Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment