Monday 26 February 2018

The Hippopotamus by Stephen Fry

The Hippopotamus
Stephen Fry


Front cover

Date read: 4 - 13 February 2018
Length: 400 pages


Ted Wallace is asked to visit Swafford Hall, country mansion of his old friend Michael Logan. His pretence is to write a sort of biography, but really his mission is to investigate the mysterious healings being carried out by his Godson Davey. What will he discover?


I'm not going to lie, there was one bit that really shocked, disgusted, and disturbed me. I'm not going to spoil anything here, but it's kind of like when you're watching something truly revolting, but you can't help but keep watching. The whole time I was reading this part, and even the lead up to it, I knew what was going to happen, yet I couldn't stop reading. There must have been a look of utter disgust on my face, but nevertheless I persevered. It's one of those things that leaves you feeling a little strange afterwards.

Apart from that, I quite enjoyed The Hippopotamus. I liked the mix of characters and the general story. There is a bit of mystery when Ted is trying to figure out what is really going on in Swafford Hall. Although it's not so convoluted that you can't figure it out before reaching that part in the novel.


As much as I liked this novel, I'm still waiting to be blown away by Stephen Fry. I will keep reading his works. It may happen one day.


Stephen Fry





Overall rating







Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment