Monday 27 November 2017

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts 1 and 2 Playscript (Harry Potter #8) by Jack Thorne, John Tiffany and J. K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts 1 and 2 Playscript
Harry Potter #8
Jack Thorne, John Tiffany and J. K. Rowling


Front cover

Date read: 14 - 21 November 2017
Length: 319 pages (342 including introduction and appendices)


Nineteen years later, Harry Potter is grown up with a wife and three children. His middle child, Albus, is starting Hogwarts, and much like his father, gets himself into some bother. Along with Scorpius Malfoy, he steals a time-turner to go back and save Cedric Diggory from his fate at the Triwizard Tournament. But in doing so, they change the world completely, and not for the better. How can they make things right again?


Before I started reading, I had no idea it wasn't actually written by J. K. Rowling. On the cover it says "Based on an original story by J. K. Rowling" but it's a play by Jack Thorne. I would have liked the return of Harry Potter to be by J. K. herself, but I'm guessing she had some involvement.

Saying that, I did enjoy the story. It was a bit slow to start, but it does pick up and has a pretty good twist! Apart from studying Shakespeare in school, I don't recall reading a play before. It was easy to read and just felt like I was reading a novel.

Although the main protagonist is Albus, I actually didn't like him all that much, and preferred Scorpius. There was too much emotional baggage with Albus, and I felt Scorpius was more fun, though not without issues of his own. I wasn't really a big fan of adult Harry either. It seemed to me that he was a bit all over the place.

I couldn't decide between 3* or 4*. On the one hand I did enjoy the story, but on the other it just wasn't the same. If I could, I would have given it 3.5*.


J. K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany





Overall rating







Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment