Saturday 28 October 2017

Last Argument of Kings (The First Law #3) by Joe Abercrombie

Last Argument of Kings
The First Law #3
Joe Abercrombie



Front cover


Date read: 4 - 20 October 2017
Length: 670 pages

The threat of the Gurkish army looms ever closer, and everyone is preparing for battle. Logen Ninefingers heads North in order to confront Bethod once and for all. Jezal returns home intending to give up being a soldier and settle with Ardee, but not even he could predict the events that will unfold...


Well. There are certainly a few surprises in the finale of the trilogy. Some of the twists just leave you thinking 'Whhaaaaatt?'. I guess it's good to be kept on your toes though!

I'm not really sure what I think of Bayaz. Sometimes I think 'hmm, he's not so bad' and other times I think 'what a manipulative little s*&t!'. He's basically got this big plan for everything and everyone, and you are expected to go along with it, despite never being consulted. If you don't go along with his plan, you're pretty much dead. So that's that.

I feel this is a fantasy series that was lacking a map. Most books of this ilk come with a map of some description, and I found myself looking for one at the first book, then the second, and still the third, disappointed that I didn't find one in either book. Perhaps I just have the wrong copies?

While reading this, I kind of zoned out about three-quarters of the way through, but that's not to say I didn't enjoy it! On the contrary I probably found this the most interesting out of the three, perhaps because of all the plot twists! It is quite a long novel, and sometimes I felt it could have been shorter.

A good fantasy series!




Overall rating







Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment