Saturday 15 October 2016

Life, Interrupted by James McConnel

Life, Interrupted
James McConnel

Front cover

Date read: 10 - 18 September 2016
Length: 343 pages

James McConnel starts developing strange compulsions and movements when he is a young child. Struggling through childhood and then adolescence, these issues progress and mutate. Everyone just dismisses his behaviour as bad habits. Until one day, at the age of 32, it is mentioned he could have a brain disorder known as Tourette's Syndrome. Now, he gets to rediscover himself.


I find it crazy how a person can go for so long without being properly diagnosed. It just goes to show how much more awareness there is of Tourette's Syndrome compared with the late 1950s and 60s.

Most of the symptoms described by James McConnel I would have associated with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). It must be extremely difficult living with Tourette's Syndrome. I think most people assume it's just the ticks and verbal outbursts, but there's so much more going on that an outsider simply isn't aware of.

I'm glad he learned to live peacefully with Tourette's Syndrome. If it was me I probably would have at least tried the medication. It's a difficult situation though, sort of a catch 22. Would taking the medication alter your personality, effectively changing who you are?

Personally I really enjoyed this book and all it taught me. Definitely worth a read.




Overall rating






Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment