Saturday 10 September 2016

The Little White Bird by J. M. Barrie

The Little White Bird
J. M. Barrie


Front cover

Date read: 25 July - 1 August 2016
Length: 312 pages

The Little White Bird tells the story of an old man who is infatuated by a young boy named David. The two grow close and spend a lot of time together. So much so David even calls him father. The old man has many stories to tell, including how he was involved with how his parents met,and the beginnings of the tale of Peter Pan.


I liked some of the imagery here. Like the idea of children being small birds waiting to be born to humans. A lot of it is very innocent and quite lovely really.

I thought the old man was a bit creepy. He made up a child of his own in order to get close to David, all despite his hatred of David's mother. Nothing circumspect haopened, and I think he genuinely liked the young boy as a companion. It makes you realise things were much different back in the early 1900s, because something like that nowadays would be seen as extremely suspicious; a red flag.


I'm looking forward to reading Peter Pan. If I've seen an adaptation, I certainly can't remember much about it. I know some of the story, but it will be good to look at it with fresh eyes and mind, as it were.




Overall rating





Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment