Thursday 17 September 2015

Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture by Douglas Coupland

Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture
Douglas Coupland


Follow my blog on Bloglovin


Front cover


Andy, Dag and Claire are in their twenties, and against the modern culture of houses and full-time jobs. Instead they have moved to the California desert to work in crappy "McJobs" and rent a crappy apartment where they tell each other stories.


I think they're all a bit bored and seeking stimulation, and that's where these stories come from. It seems they're not really doing much with their lives and perhaps these stories are a way of livening up their day a little.

They're going nowhere fast. They have no responsibilities or any real connection besides each other. But maybe they think that's freedom.


I can kind of see their point though. I know everyone dreams of a world where they have no responsibility. No jobs or family they have to commit to, no mortgage or rent to pay. But there's a difference between little responsibility and wandering around aimless. I know settling down and having kids and jobs and houses isn't for everyone. But I believe everyone needs some stability, no matter what it is.

I guess because I'm quite 'tied down' I found it a bit hard to relate to their way of thinking. I rent a flat, I have a full time job, I have a car. I couldn't imagine my life without any of those things. I couldn't just up sticks and leave everything behind. It's not in my nature.




Overall rating





Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment