Saturday 11 October 2014

A Respectable Trade by Philippa Gregory

A Respectable Trade
Philippa Gregory 


Follow my blog on Bloglovin 


Cover Image




A Respectable Trade tells the story of Mehuru, a man captured and brought to England to be a slave. He is bought by a business man whose wife is to take on the responsibility of teaching them English and how to behave, in order to make them 'fit for purchase' by the wealthy. The family he lives with begin to go through some financial difficulty. Behind it all there is some forbidden love as Mehuru and Frances slowly fall in love with each other.


I found the story quite predictable, and figured out more or less what was going to happen within the first 40 pages. Nevertheless it's an amazing story and very enjoyable.

I particularly enjoyed the relationship between Mehuru and Frances developing. It was a forbidden love because Frances is a white woman, and Mehuru a black slave. In a world full of prejudice it's nice to see two people who don't care about that, but still care for one another deeply.

I'd never read anything by Philippa Gregory before, and I'm certainly not disappointed by this novel.  I have a few other novels so I'm looking forward to reading them.



Overall rating






Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment