Saturday 14 June 2014

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Wuthering Heights
Emily Bronte

Follow my blog on Bloglovin' 



Cover Image

"A good heart will help you to a bonny face, my lad."


Wuthering Heights is the tale of forbidden love between Cathy and Heathcliff set in the moors of Yorkshire. Told to Lockwood, a gentleman renting the house, Nelly shares the story of the past and the events that shaped the people on the moor.

For the most part I enjoyed Wuthering Heights, although I found it extremely difficult to get into, but once Nelly starts telling the tale of the past, I found it got a lot easier to read. I can't say I found a particular fondness for any of the characters, with the exception of perhaps Nelly. I found them arrogant and selfish, however the retelling of the story from Nelly's point of view is interesting and captivating.

I found it was more difficult to sympathise with the characters because it is written from a different persons point of view. I feel if it was written in the first person, we would get a lot more insight to how the characters think and feel, and it would be easier to sympathise with the events in the story. 


So far Jane Eyre is still my favourite classic, but Wuthering Heights was not bad! Although I didn't enjoy it as much, it's still a classic and for that reason worth the read!

"Though provided with a large library, I'm frequently very dull at the Grange; take my books away, and I should be desperate!"



Overall rating





Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment