Wednesday 26 March 2014

The Lord of the Rings 1: The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien

Follow my blog with Bloglovin 

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12009729/?claim=cek95wbfjc3">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>



The Lord of the Rings 1: The Fellowship of the Ring
J. R. R. Tolkien


Cover Image


After reading The Hobbit I was excited to start the The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I have never seen any of the films, so I don't really know any of the stories. Before I read The Hobbit I didn't even know what the ring did!


The Fellowship of the Ring sees Frodo leaving The Shire with Sam Gamgee in an attempt to destroy the ring. Along the way they gain more companions; men named Aragorn and Boromir, an elf called Legolas, a dwarf named Gimli, another two Hobbits; Merry and Pippin, and of course the great Wizard Gandalf. They must travel a long way to reach Mordor in order to destroy the ring! During their travels they must decide whether to continue to Mordor, or aid Minas Tirith in the coming war, or separate.


"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."


The Lord of the Rings books are so popular it's hard not to hear or read other peoples opinions on them, and the comparisons with The Hobbit. I had heard a lot of people saying that they really enjoyed The Hobbit, but no matter how hard  they tried, they just couldn't get into The Lord of the Rings. Personally, I don't understand it myself. I thought The Fellowship of the Ring was just as good as The Hobbit, and found it easy to get back into the style of writing and the characters after taking a break to read another two books.

I did feel that the pace of the story was beginning to slow nearer the end of the book, and I have also heard that from the second book and into the third that the pace is very slow, and a lot of readers have found this dull and tiresome. I hope I don't find this to be true, but all I can do is read to find out!







I'm finding in difficult to figure out who my favourite character is. At the moment I'm leaning towards Aragorn/Strider. My other choice would be Frodo or Samwise, but there is something lacking with Frodo (not quite sure what yet), and I don't really know Sam yet either. So far I've not really come across any characters that I don't like (besides the enemy, of course) apart from Boromir at the end of The Fellowship of the Ring

I have just started The Two Towers (and what a coincidence, I started reading it on Tolkien Reading Day; March 25), so hopefully I will have a better understanding of the characters by then!


I am a few books behind with this blog, as in, I have read them but not written them up yet, but I am slowly catching up! :D


Overall rating
 






Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment