Thursday 23 January 2014

Noughts and Crosses 4: Double Cross by Malorie Blackman

Noughts and Crosses 4: Double Cross
Malorie Blackman


Cover Image

After reading the previous 3 in the series;
  1. Noughts and Crosses 1: Noughts and Crosses
  2. Noughts and Crosses 2: Knife Edge
  3. Noughts and Crosses 3: Checkmate
last year, I got around to reading Double Cross as my first book of 2014.

Double Cross is the last in the series of books about the struggle to get by in a world full of racial prejudice. The books follow a set of characters determined to make a change, and help towards progression of equality for all races.


Double Cross
Double Cross sees the struggle of Tobey Durbridge as he becomes involved with the rival gangs in Meadowview; McAuley and the Dowds. After Callie Rose is hospitalised, he embarks upon a plan for revenge.

Double Cross is a nice finale to the series, although it can be a bit emotional at times, especially when Callie Rose is hospitalised. Personally, I didn't feel this was the best in comparison to the other 3 books. For most of the book you're not really paying attention to what Tobey is doing, but waiting to find out if Callie lives or dies.

The character of Tobey really shines through in Double Cross. Previously you don't really know much of Tobey, apart from that he's the annoying kid next door who winds up Callie Rose. The characters really grow up in Double Cross and it's nice to see Callie happy for a change.



The series as a whole
Before I started reading the Noughts and Crosses series, I had heard a lot of comments on how good it was. I didn't even know what it was about but I knew I had to read it. Boy, they were not wrong.

Even considering they are adolescent books, there is a lot of material which applies to everyone, regardless of age. From racial abuse, murder, gangs and drugs the series deals with some very dark issues.

After reading all of them, the first one; Noughts and Crosses is still my favourite. I found it so emotionally compelling, and I even cried at the end (only the second book I have ever cried at). I'm not kidding, I closed the book and just burst out crying. It was a very strange experience.

I have already recommended the series to my friends, so for any one that hasn't read them, go ahead! An easy but emotional read.


Author Malorie Blackman




Rating


Thanks,
The Wee Librocubicularist

No comments:

Post a Comment